WEEK 5 – I Want to Say Yes, but I'm Afraid
Read Chapter 6, If It Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be Worth Doing. . When you finish reading Chapter 6, begin the questions at the end of the chapter.
Then read Chapter 7 – the title is, "Keeping Our Vision Clear." I love the subtitle of this chapter too… "Our life will follow where we focus our vision."
Our key verse this week is James 4:7. – Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
This week's topics:
- This week's phrase – Fresh Vision
2. Lower Your Nets – Simon Peter had no idea that his obedience to something that seemed so small and insignificant could help him discover his calling in life, but it did! What little thing is God asking of you today?
3. Glimpses of God – How can your life experiences help provide people with glimpses of God? (Phil. 2:14-16)
4. Inspired By Obedience – Have you been inspired by someone else's obedience to God?
One of the qualifications God requires of us is holiness. Read the verses below slowly and prayerfully. You may want read them aloud or read them over more than once. Underline any words or phrases that stand out to you.
Now you must be holy in everything you do, just as God who chose you is holy. For the Scriptures say, "You must be holy because I am holy" (1 Peter 1:15-16)
Who may climb the mountain of the Lord? Who may stand in His holy place? Only those whose hands and hearts are pure, who do not worship idols and never tell lies. The will receive the Lord's blessing and have a right relationship with God their savior (Psalm 24:2-5).
Teach me your ways, O Lord, that I may live according to your truth? Grant me purity of heart, so that I may honor you (Psalm 86:11).
Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world (James 4:8)
Rejoice in the Lord and be glad, all you who obey Him? Shout for joy, and you whose hearts are pure! (Psalm 32:11).
- Drawing on the verses above, list three to five words or phrase in each sentence below to describe what holiness is or is not.
- What connections do these verse make between holiness of heart and holiness of behavior?
- What might be God's invitation to you through these verses? What would it mean to say yes to that invitation?