Skip to main content

Removing Color Casts



Removing Color Casts in Photoshop


This is a picture I took this summer during our 8-week stay in Jacksonville. I’ll share more about why we were there in the coming days. I wanted a picture of the skyline at night to capture the buildings that illuminated the water. We discovered Jacksonville offers a lot of history, culture and to get almost anywhere in the city requires you to cross at least on bridge!

The picture on top I thought was pretty good, I did some minor adjustments to the exposure in Lightroom (LR). My camera settings were – ISO 500, F8, 18 mm, 1/10 sec. The one on the bottom is the same picture after I made the adjustments described here.  I opened the top image in Photoshop to remove any color casts and correct the white balance. I could have done this in LR but I wanted to try a new technique. So, to do this I duplicated the layer – ctrl or cmd + J (this makes a copy of the picture), then next I Inverted the layer by pressing ctrl or cmd + I; next on the toolbar go to Filter > Blur > Average. This is like putting the picture in a blender, mixing all the colors together then it reveals which color(s) needs to be tone down.


Next change the blend mode from normal to “Soft Light,” you will notice a difference in the picture at this point. To boost the colors and increase the intensity; add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer.  After you add the Hue/Saturation adjustment layer, you will want to apply a clipping mask so only the colors that need to be adjusted will be affect by the next steps. Hold down the alt key and click between layer 1 and the adjustment layer. The two sliders that will affected the needed change are saturation and lightness. Saturation boosts the color (adjust to taste) and Lightness increases the intensity of the colors (again, adjust to taste).


Lastly, flatten or merge all the layers (shift + ctrl + E) and save your work!


Disclaimer: I’m a PC girl!!!



Be blessed and be a blessing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture Writing and Verse Mapping

  Benefits of Scripture Writing   “Then the Lord answered me and said: “Write the vision And make it plain on tablets, That he may run who reads it.” Habakkuk 2:2   There are many benefits to adopting a scripture writing practice:   Spiritual Growth: Writing scripture daily helps deepen your understanding of the Bible.   Increased Focus: The act of writing engages your mind and heart in a more intentional way.   Encouragement in Difficult Times: Meditating on God’s promises brings comfort and peace.   Creative Expression: Journaling scripture can be a great way to express your creativity.   Deeper Relationship with God: Spending time in God’s Word fosters a stronger connection with your Heavenly Father. Incorporating Verse Mapping into Your Daily Devotional Routine    Make verse mapping a part of your daily devotional routine. It doesn’t have to be lengthy—even a few minutes daily ...

Canva

Created 2 Create Twitter Cover Image Design Canva - One of My Favorite Design Programs and Apps With Canva , you don’t have to be a design pro, it makes designing easy. You can use your own photos or you can you upload images from sites like Unsplash or Pexels  and download them on your computer totally FREE. Canva also offers an app for you phone. Canva lets you Create designs for Web or print: blog graphics, presentations, Facebook & social media covers, flyers, posters, invitations and many more.  The design options are endless, and the site is very user-friendly – you can modify one the their designs or create your own using one of the templates. Unsplash offers professional images that you can modify, edit and use as you desire. Again, totally free! Pexels ’ site is just like Upsplash , these are royalty-free photographs for you to use as you wish. These are some of the designs I created using Canva … Click on l...

Advent Season

    Advent Season started November 30th 2025 and ends December 24 th , 2025   Advent means the coming of Christ /period leading up to Christmas. It is the first season of the Christian Church year. On each of the four Sundays preceding Christmas, an Advent candle is lit. The 4 candles of Advent are Hope, Love, Joy, and Peace, representing the virtues Jesus brought us. The 4 candles are arranged on a circular Advent wreath, with no beginning or end, reminding us of the eternity of God's love and the everlasting love we find in Jesus.    Together the Advent candles are a reminder of God's promise to us of salvation through Christ.   The first candle purple -Hope(can be called the Prophesy Candle) symbolizes a shining light in anticipation of the coming of Christ and represents God's forgiveness of man's sins.   The second candle-Love is usually purple or violet. It reminds us of the Holy Family's experience in Bethlehem. This color is a...